Final Reminder: Call for Candidates for NAQC Board of Directors (Deadline of February 28)
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Posted by: Natalia Gromov
There are only three days remaining torecommend candidates to serve on the NAQC Board in the upcoming year. Please send all recommendations for candidates to Chad Morris, Chair of the Nomination Committee, c/o Board@naquitline.org by Friday, February 28. For each person you would like to recommend, please provide the following information:1. Full name, contact information and brief resume for the person;
2. Your rationale for recommending this person as a candidate; and
3. Confirmation that you have spoken to the person and know that s/he is willing to have her/his name put forward to the Nomination Committee for consideration.
This year, we will be electing up to 3 new directors. It is our intention to put forward up to 5 names to the membership for election. The Board chose this approach to allow for a meaningful vote without invoking undue competition.
The board is responsible for setting NAQC’s strategic direction, connecting with its members and ensuring NAQC’s advancement and sustainability.During the next few years quitlines will experience many changes in the populations served, technology used, and approaches to sustainability. NAQC seeks candidates for the board who are innovative "difference makers” and who can help guide us through the changes ahead. Candidates for the board should have senior level experience, possess leadership skills, be strategic thinkers and display professional and collegial demeanor. Board members do not represent their employer or any specific constituency, but instead work together to create a global vision for NAQC. The board seeks members who are committed to NAQC’s mission and values, contribute diverse viewpoints and cultural experiences, and have expertise in some of the areas listed below:
- Finance:The Board is responsible for financial oversight of the organization, and seeks candidates with expertise in this area. Currently, there are no CPAs or MBAs on the Board.
- Relationships with health plans and employers:Engaging private health plans and employers has become an important activity for quitlines. The board would benefit from a member who has relationships in these sectors.
- Addressing priority populations:Addressing disparities in health is a key objective for NAQC. We seek candidates with an expertise and background in cultural knowledge and experience in reaching priority populations.
- Making quitlines sustainable:Ensuring quitline sustainability is a key objective for NAQC. Recently, government funding for quitlines and tobacco control programs has been decreasing. NAQC seeks candidates who offer strategic leadership on new approaches to sustainability planning for quitlines, including public-private partnerships and integration of quitlines in health systems.
- Understanding issues related to organizational sustainability for NAQC:Ensuring sustainability of the organization is a key responsibility of the Board. NAQC seeks candidates who offer strategic leadership in fundraising and working with donor and/or grant-making organizations.
- Policy governance of a not-for-profit organization:Experience on a non-profit board is extremely helpful to candidates. NAQC follows a policy governance model developed by John Carver which focuses on business issues and strategic leadership. The Board does not focus on program development; this responsibility is delegated to staff.
Board members are elected for three-year terms and can be reelected once. The annual time commitment for board members includes four meetings (1-2 in-person meetings for 1.5 days and 2-3 via conference call), plus meeting preparation time, travel time and 10-20 hours of committee work.Next Steps:
After the February 28 deadline, the Nomination Committee will review all suggested candidates, may follow up with selected individuals for additional information, and will propose a slate of nominees to the full Board of Directors at the next Board meeting. After approval of the slate, the nominees then stand for election by the NAQC membership. A single representative from each organizational member of NAQC is eligible to vote. The election will be conducted online from May 30 – June 13. The new directors will be announced in August.
If you have questions, please contactChad Morris, Chair of the Nomination Committee
, at Board@naquitline.org
or Linda Bailey, President and CEO
, at firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can find a list of board members here
and detailed information on the election process here
Thank you for your time and effort to participate in this important activity.