Request for nominations for the Interagency Committee on Smoking and Health
Thursday, November 04, 2010
Posted by: Natalia Gromov
The Interagency Committee on Smoking and Health (ICSH) is soliciting nominations of qualified individuals to serve as a public member on this Committee. The ICSH advises the Secretary, Health and Human Services, the Assistant Secretary for Health, and the Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on the coordination of research, educational programs, and other activities within the Department related to the effect of smoking on human health. The ICSH coordinates these activities with appropriate private entities, other Federal agencies, as well as State and local public agencies.
The ICSH is composed of five public members and twenty-one members appointed by the Secretary from appropriate institutes and agencies of the Department and at least one member from any other Federal agency designated by the Secretary. The five public members, also appointed by the Secretary, are drawn from physicians and scientists who represent private entities involved in informing the public about the health effects of smoking. Federal employees will not be considered for membership.
To qualify for consideration of appointment to the Committee, an individual must possess demonstrated experience and expertise in the following areas:
(1) Expertise in the field of tobacco control and multi-disciplinary expertise in public health.
(2) Knowledge of national health policies and programs managed by the Department of Health and Human Services.
(1) Knowledge of emerging tobacco control policies and experience in analyzing, evaluating, and interpreting Federal, state and/or local health or regulatory policy that includes Point of Sale, warning labels, and advertising restrictions; or
(2) Knowledge of product regulation and the emerging environment of tobacco control and expertise in developing or contributing to the development of policies and/or programs; or
(3) Familiarity of rapid and emerging surveillance systems that will allow for the timely evaluation of tobacco product regulation and/or the impact of tobacco control interventions.
Requirements for Nomination Submission: The following information should be included in the package of material submitted for each individual being nominated: (1) A letter of nomination that clearly states the name and affiliation of the nominee, the basis for the nomination (i.e., specific attributes which qualify the nominee for service in this capacity), and a statement that the nominee is willing to serve as a member of the Committee: (2) the nominator’s name, address, and daytime telephone number, and the home and/or work address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the individual being nominated; (3) a current copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae, and (4) provide narrative responses to the professional/technical qualifications listed above in regard to the nominees experience.
You may nominate any interested qualified individual for membership on this Committee. Nominations (preferably in electronic format) should include the individual’s name, occupation, position, qualifications to address the issue, and contact information (i.e., telephone number, fax number, mailing address, e-mail, and/or website). To be considered, all nominations must also include a current bio, resume or curriculum vitae (preferably electronic in MSWord).
Nominations should be sent electronically or in writing (preferably electronic) and postmarked (if mailed) by November 19, 2010 to Monica Swann at firstname.lastname@example.org . Telephone and facsimile submissions cannot be accepted.
Additionally, a Federal Register Notice (FRN) was released on Wednesday, November 3, 2010 announcing the nomination period. You can obtain and forward (if applicable) the FRN via this link: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/2010-27600.htm